'Suit Up' ! Fashion For Men...

Hey boys and girls,

I wasn’t sure in what section to put this, but it is probably too off-topic to put in the Men’s.

I had a revelation last week, which also resulted in a new avatar :cool: .

Some of you know I am in the process confidence building, which has its ups and downs for me. But I had an aha-moment a couple of days ago and I’ll explain why.

I had to attend a funeral and ofcourse I had to suit-up. I haven’t worn a suit for years. In my younger years (18-22) I wore suits more often and I had totally forgotten how awesome it made feel. I cannot explain why, but it feels like a confidence-uniform. One online tailor I browsed past called it ‘Metropolitan Confidence’, which I think covers the feeling well. :slight_smile:

At the funeral I had several distant female cousins, who had not seen me in years, compliment me on my look. Another thing that was weird for me, was that people actually came to me. This wasn’t an attraction or seduction thing ofcourse, but I was constantly ‘opened’. Even the coffee girls were eyeing me. I might not yet talk the talk, a suit certainly makes me walk the walk. It is like peacocking without weird accessories, haha.

After the funeral I had stuff to do, so I decided to not change back in to my casuals. During shopping and in supermarkets people treated me better then they usually do. It made me stand tall and ofcourse I had a grin on my face.

Btw, I also had on 2 drops of a314 that day.

So guys, what is your experience with the world while ‘suited up’ ?
And girls, what is it that makes a guy in a suit so different from the rest the rest of the crowd?

Well I consider myself a FLAG SHIP in style. Style over fashion. I bring it hard. I can hold my own on any Red Carpet. Call it GQ. Call it VIP: I got that celebrity vibe.

One thing about our parents generation that I feel I missed out on was that a suit and hat was considered the standard wardrobe. You ever look at movies from the 50’s and 60’s? Notice how everyone wore suits back then? it was the norm. I think the suit is making a very small comeback thanks to shows like Mad Men.

If people like the way you look in it, and more importantly you like the way you feel in it, then maybe consider picking up a couple and wearing one more often. A314 compliments a suit very well and who knows. This may be the natural image for you to be conveying.

Awesome ! I have to remember that quote !

Yeah I know. And also, people ( men) smoked all day long and everywhere. Even teachers in class while teaching :stuck_out_tongue:. Btw, fedora’s are back in fashion. I might check them out.

Exactly ! A guy is only overdressed when he thinks he is. Ofcourse you shouldn’t wear a suit to the beach. But at other places, people don’t know you didn’t just have a meeting or something. And I am buying a couple more suits for sure. They are expensive, and I think it is better to have two that fit excellently then five that fit poorly.

Depends on the occasion, but generally a well dressed guy will come across as more confident, more ambitious and more comfortable with his masculinity. You can be well dressed in a casual outfit too, but for some occasions a well fitting suit looks best.

I think a well dressed guy also tends to attract women who show him more respect. When you see a couple where the woman treats her man like a child, he is almost always poorly dressed. But it is fine to relax on occasion. If you are walking in the woods or having a lazy sunday, casual suits that.

So true. I can say from experience that ‘suiting up’ is a respect getter. It may intimidate quite a few women though.

I never thought about that. But isn’t this easily countered by smiling and/or other forms of openness? Wait a sec, this is a pheromone forum. We will just spray on some IO or CTTM2 right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think suits did much to attract me in my younger years as I was attracted to a laid back, rowdy dressing like crowd.

Now, I have to agree with butterfly, a suite or well dressed guy even if he is wearing a dress shirt and jeans just gives him that sophisticated, mature and ambitious type you want to get with.

I have seen men in suits however that did not do justice to it had a totally different affect on me. It made me not even want to look at them because I felt bad for them cuz they were so clumsy and awkward.

It’s not only the suit but how you carry yourself as well. Confidence calls us ladies like the scent of food or cheese calls to the cartoon characters. We can’t help but be drawn.

Well, I am not really trying to attract ‘younger’ women. I am aiming for women around my own age (25-30). While suited-up I don’t have that clumsiness or awkwardness. Thats is why I call it my confidence uniform. :slight_smile:

So the suit is just a weapon in the arsenal (mones being another weapon), with which I carry myself well. I wish you could see that friggin grin I carry around with it, it’s so funny when I think about it.

In other words..“fucking WEAR THAT SHIT”
Wear the suit, like James Bond dude. Don’t let the suit wear you…lookin like a little kid squirming around uncomfortably like you mom dressed you for church on Sunday.

exactly!!! Well said. Lmao!

Radmeister, I am wearing the shit out of that shit ! In fact, this afternoon George Clooney called, asking if he could have his swagger back. I had to disappoint him.

Personally I dont know how to dress myself. Girls give me this “Your such a slob” look quite frequently. I need a wardrobe that isnt too pricey yet Ill look okay :smiley:

If I was a girl I wouldnt be able to imagine the amount of phail I would bring upon the style/fashion world :open_mouth:

I consider learning how to dress up to be just like any other acquired skill. It can be taught and learnt. If you wanna change this, just handle it like when you made the mental decision to be ‘good at pheromone usage’. Then soon, looking like a slob, will be someting from your past.

I’ve spent years of my life being out of shape and looking like a ‘slob’. No longer. Believe me it is worth the investment in time (and sometimes some money).

First thing you need to realise is that it is definately not ‘gay’ to take care of your body and clothes. I used to think like that, but in hindsight, it was probably my insecurity about improving myself in the looks department.

Secondly. And this is cliche, but it does work. Tell one or more of your female friends about you wanting to dress better. They understand, they will think it is awesome. You might wanna tell them you are on a budget though. So they will not go all out on you while shopping. :slight_smile: The women who go shopping with you must be around your age (and ofc have some fashion/style sense). Mothers and aunts are prohibited. They will tell you that you look nice or cute, even when you are wearing a garbage bag. It is their job to tell you that kind of stuff.

Bolkie,

Some people need to be school on shoes. Start at the bottom: Put on a pair of bad shoes and it doesn’t matter how nice a person suit is.

.

Very true. In fact it is often said that women first look at a man’s shoes. So if those aren’t ok, you might be disqualified from the start.

And talking about shoes, it is imperative that your shoes and belt match. But you know that already. :wink:

Yes, good shoes are important :slight_smile:

Second, to really know your appearance and how to work with it. For example if you are stout, you wear things that elongate and when you are thin, you wear things that widen. Also, colours that work with your complexion and make you look well rested and in strong health.

Third, to look honestly at your lifestyle and see how much of what you really need. Work with costumers at a bank? Get some nice suits and light shirts. Go latin dancing 3 times a week? Own some nice party shirts in stong colours. Work in a bookstore? Get some nice separates. In a lab? See what goes with a white coat. etc.

Really, for men as well as women, once you wear what suits your body and your lifestyle, you are ahead of 95% of the population. I do this and I also find that my clothes don’t go out of fashion so fast either. When you wear what suits you, you tend to engage the flow of fashion, which lasts a decade or so, but you ignore the trends that fade in a season.

Sis, it sounds like you know how to ROCK IT.:slight_smile:

Next sunday, I am attending a football (soccer) match of my favourite team. It is an away game. Business partners from that area supplied us with tickets for a sky box ( luxury box). Dress code is supposed to be something called ‘smart casual’. Ofcourse I’ve heard of casual, but ‘smart casual’ is new for me. So I googled the term, but I find many inconsistencies. I’m not even sure if I need to bring a tie or not :stuck_out_tongue:

Could any of you fill me in ?

Wearing a suit is as good as wearing A314. Wearing A314 is as good as wearing a suit. You do get more respect. You get “yes, sir” all the time! Of course, wearing A314 with a suit is best of all. They were made for each other. Since I’ve retired, I wear a suit all the time.

It is weird to watch those movies from the 1950s when everyone wore a suit. It is kind of like an unfair advantage when you wear a suit, nowadays. But for a seriously unfair advantage, start wearing linen suits in the summer. First linen suit I got, I would walk down the street and attractive women would stop dead in their tracks, look at me and go, “wow…”. I’d never experienced anything like that before. That sold me on linen suits!

After you get a couple of suits, you can be patient and wait for sales, in which case, they aren’t necessarily that expensive. Taking them to a good tailor to get a good fit is what hurts me. It is never cheap, but it is worth it. A good fit is more important than a more expensive suit (that doesn’t fit).

Best of all, so long as you stay with natural fibers, a suit is comfortable. I could not go back to jeans!