what clothes make a guy look good?

hello ladies :wink:

i am theKorean and i aim to please women.
step 1) be visually appealing

um…haha help?

will you please help me with this? i want a woman’s take on what clothes are in style and what girls like. i’m heading into college and i need to update my wardrobe haha if you would help me out, i would greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

if you agree, please be specific as you can. i am an 18 year old 3/4 white, 1/4 asian mix. i’m 5’ 10" and 150 lb athletic physique, green/blue eyes, dark brown hair, contacts (not glasses). i don’t know if that will help, but there you go :}

thank you so much in advance and i look forward to seeing what you have to say :slight_smile:

Your going to get different answers to this question because whats visually appealing to one person is not to another. People generally attract to what appeals to them. Keep this in mind though just as your pheromones say something about you so does your wardrobe. The question is what do you want to say ?

A few general tips…

Shop at your local mall and not walmart or other low end department stores . These stores are behind a season or two in the trends of the season because they buy left overs from previous seasons. At the mall your going to find different styles that fit different personalities all of which are in style for the season and that specific personality. Of course they will be more expensive but thats just the way it is.

Your best bet is to wear clothes that fit your personality and you feel comfortable and confident in. Clothes that appeal to you. The most important thing is that you look clean neat and well groomed in those clothes. If your uncomfortable or not at ease in what your wearing it shows in your body language and your ability to project confidence.

So pop on down to a store with a magazine rack. Pick up a GQ magazine. Browse though it for styles that appeal to you. GQ usually shows styles for all sorts of tastes and the current trends in that style.

Tisha

haha thank you, i appreciate it :slight_smile: i’ve talked to other people before and recieved similar responses. it all depends on personal preference. my problem is i don’t know what looks good in each style. i mean, fitted preppy is a pretty vague answer i’ve heard once :stuck_out_tongue:

i did want an answer like this, i couldn’t put into words what i had heard before. this is perfect.

but, that’s actually what i’m asking for. i would like you ladies to be the “magazing,” if you will. i’ve seen some magazines when i’m hanging with a girl and she’ll say all of it looks bad and her friends will agree. granted, that is most likely due to personal taste, but that’s why i’m here, so as to get a general opinion, if there is one haha

to each beautiful woman out there, tell me: what style do YOU like best on a guy? please be super specific. i.e. shell necklace, light blue hollister polo (no undershirt) blue/white plaid shorts, brown flip flops
OR
black suit (armani), red tie (no design), black leather shoes
haha VERY in depth please

thank you again and i can’t wait to hear what your opinions are

Ok…

Casual …

I dont like flip flops or shell necklaces on men. In fact, sandals on a guy is kinda to fem for my taste. The only exception is on the beach. I like sneakers and timberland boots on a guy. If I had to choose a guy by just looking at his shoes and not seeing the rest of him I am going for the Timberland guy.

I dont like polo shirts. They are to 5th grade. To tell you the truth I didnt like them in 5th grade either (snort). I just dont like them. A nice casual button down is good with a t-shirt under it. Tee shirts without snappy weird sayings on them are nice. They dont have to be solid they can have a logo or some other picture I just hate t-shirts that say something stupid on them or with pictures of homer simpson. Your a big boy now.

Jeans that fit you and dont hang off your ass. Not to tight not to loose.

Plaid shorts are in but I hate them they remind me of old people at the golf course. I hate them on women to. They remind me of my Aunt Sophie. Solid khaki shorts not below the knees like knickers but something that falls right on or above the knee cap. No daisy dukes for men its just weird.

I go for more the bad boy type. Leather jeans tshirts military wear. Men who know they are men and dont let women dictate how they should look. Even when we try LOL Think Criss Angel cleaned up with less bling.

For more casual dressy occasions…

Blazers with solid shirts and either pants or jeans.

I tend not to go for guys who dress preppy or wear suits alot they tend to be self absorbed. However there are times when formal wear is required.

Business meetings… work… formal occasions .

A nice suit. I dont care if its Armani or not as long as its a quality suit that fits you properly.

I am turned off by guys who over or under dress for occasions. Whether its a casual party or a more formal occasion. If you show up to school wearing Armani suits it just makes me think your driven by your ego and superficial. Business meetings and formal occasions are different.

I am turned off by guys when there dress doesn’t fit there life style. The pizza boy in Armani does not impress me. Not that I could not be attracted to the pizza boy. I could as long he is confident in being the pizza boy and dresses neat. His confidence in who he is is what impresses me.

I am turned on by men who are unafraid to be themselves and dress to fit their own desires. If a guy feels “hot” in what he is wearing this is attractive to me. I study body language so I probably pick up on things more easily then most but women know confident when they see it.

For me men make the clothes the clothes do not make the man. I know that many women are superficial and will judge you on what you wear but I just never got into that, Frankly I would be happy if we all walked around naked in fact I frequently do . LOL

Oh and I just wanted to add… Please men please do not wear capri’s. I saw a guy wearing them the other day at the mall and I almost smacked him in the head. My son had to stop me LOL. So if you have them on and you get smacked you know its me.

Tisha

YUM…

https://trendycrew.s3.amazonaws.com/paris-fwaw2011-alberto-salesi.jpg

The outfit below is ok but the jacket is to small.

https://trendycrew.s3.amazonaws.com/paris-fwaw2011-tim.jpg

Not yummy… He is not bad looking he just looks so uncomfortable LOL Oh and his jeans dont fit around his crotch. It makes his johnson look inadequate

https://trendycrew.s3.amazonaws.com/milan-fwss2010-angelo2.jpg

Great pictures. Gave me a good laugh this am

My main clothes is either pants like Dexter(various bags I love them) or jeans not too tight or loose and always ALWAYS a T shirt not tuck in

I hate shirts since I was 15, change of looks and everything.

Now I would love to wear some casual shirts because I think it would make me more sexy :smiley:

what kind of shirt though haha fitted? tall tee? logos? affliction like with designs and stuff? too many choices haha

Need to go someplace haha, not the kind of people who buys clothes for himself.

Logos is nice :stuck_out_tongue:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i81/jdmyluv/Dexter%20Icons/dexter-intro-2.gif

Expensive ones.

You are a winter type, that means you will look great in black, white, royal blue, crimson and ice blue, navy, silver grey and indigo are good too. I think an ice blue dress shirt is particularly attractive on blue eyed men.

When it comes to styles, winters look best in either a more formal look, a smart casual style like Dexter, or the bad boy look. I like a slightly more clean cut look than Tisha I think. In the bad boy outfit, I’d prefer laces to be tied and the trousers a bit less tight. Also look at Neo from The Matrix. That look suits nights, fall, winter. I really like the shape of Dexter’s clothing, but in the winter colours for you. Nice for class, the day time, casual office. Formal clothing should be crisp shirt, nice leather shoes, suit or just dress trousers that fit well. Good for formal work and going out in style. Contrast can be great on a winter, as are pinstripes, black leather, diagonal lines. I’d avoid legible clothing and most printed tees. More mysterious and higher status.

You can combine elements of different styles to suit your personality. I don’t focus too much on fashion, look within the colours and styles that flatter you and work with your lifestyle, then see if there is any trend that suits you. But 80% timeless items is more masculine, too trendy smacks of effeminate fashion slave. But dont be afraid to combine things in a creative way, a slight edge is more exciting than totally square.

Shakespeare gave some good advice, through old man Polonius in Hamlet:

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express’d in fancy; rich, not gaudy,
For the apparel oft proclaims the man

An important visual clue for all observers is fit. The proper fit makes the garment do its best work. In fact, it is better to buy a less expensive item and have it altered to a perfect fit than to blow the money on an ill-fitting but costly piece. At a minimum level, that’s why buying slacks and having the pants hemmed or cuffed to length is better than just getting the standard sizing.

Dress shirts that are the correct neck size and arm length can be a much better fit than S-M-L-XL sport shirts.

Also a woman can be the best judge of good and bad color matches for your coloring. I’ve been told enough times by enough women that I can NOT wear yellow or orange. Dark green works for me though. You need a woman in your target age bracket to help you with this.

Initial impressions are often lasting, so looking and acting your best when it counts is paramount. Taste in clothing is extremely subjective and a real gray area. You can never be all things to all people, so be true to your tastes and comfort level. The most important thing is to wear clothing that fits well, is clean and works together. Even if your choice of threads is not to her taste, at least you demonstrate how you feel good about yourself and care about your appearance.

I stick to clothing I feel comfortable in and reflect my lifestyle and tastes. I’m more of a dress down type but women notice the attention to detail and comment on it: slim cut Mek, Mark Ecko, Buffalo & True Religion jeans; fitted graphic Ts from Lucky, Affliction & Ed Hardy (the basic less loud ones); Southwest Indian jewelry; fancy Western belt; Italian boots; Maui Jim sunglasses and short styled hair. Sort of a vintage rolling stone look without the long hair. In cooler weather I add a vintage leather jacket (biker type). A little arty-farty but still masculine and sharp. Hip-hop mamas, emo and punks blow me off at a glance, so clothing is a surprisingly powerful statement.

As Gegogi had hinted, clothes also serve as costumes, “proclaiming” our status, rank, internal self-confidence, and world-awareness. So figure out who you are, what you hope to be, and who you want to accept/reject you

I’ve given up on tie-dye (except for my swim trunks!) and now prefer
Hickey-Freeman, Marx-Shaffner, Allen-Edmond for shoes, and Nordstrom for most else.

For some reason, women are especially interested in your shoes. Leather uppers and soles, polished and well-maintained speak LOUDLY to women, plus they can last forever, justifying their first cost.

A personal bugaboo - visible “designer labels” and logos. This attempted association with brand is a sure sign of social anxiety in the wearer. Class is NO labels or cute logos - let the clothes and your carriage speak for you.

Google “Brad P.'s fashion bible” it has some good advice on how to develop a look for yourself.

Ah dunno, ah gits massive wood when cute Japanese women wear Hello Kitty (Sanrio) logo clothing, footwear and lingerie. Catching sight of a cheetah spot Hello Kitty vibrator in same logo purse propels me straight into friggen hog heaven. Even the sight of a packed Sanrio pencil box is kind of a turn-on. The Korean Morning Glory brand is a distant second but still cute.

As for social anxiety and logos, that’s just your personal theory and has no relationship to reality. Wearing clothing with visible labels and/or logo is no different than driving a car with BMW or Ford dashed across the front and back, holding an iPhone or playing with a Head tennis racket. Brand is apparent, so what? The odd behavior here is conscious and deliberate concealment of brand. Just because Whitehall might feel anxiety wearing a Chococat branded wifebeater doesn’t mean 20 year old Kimiko suffers the same. I wear a Jack Daniels belt buckle and Lucky emblazon boxers and yet am cool as cucumber. In fact I’m an arrogant ass really don’t give a flying fuck what most people think of me.

Now that was a freakin’ kickass rant!

In this case, it’s just as well, for your sake.:wink:

Check out this book!:smiley:

You should really check out look book. Have you been on that site before? It’s full of different styles from people all over the world. Members are able to post pictures of their outfits and people Hype and comment on them. Lots of girls comment on the guy pictures and this could give you an idea of what some girls are into. I too am in the process of updating my wardrobe for college and look book has helped me a ton! I don’t like all the styles that are on there, but it’s given me enough ideas to steer my style in the direction I want it.

Personally I love originality in a guys style (something you don’t often find where I’m from). I really like hats on guys, especially straw ones lol. I also find metal rings to be attractive for some strange reason. Nicely fitted jeans that aren’t too tight or baggy with some leather shoes also look great on guys. Scarfs and ties look nice too. I guess for me, the romantic artsy look on guys is what really gets me interested and you can find a lot of that on look book if it suits your taste. I would just suggest steering clear of short-shorts and capris hahaha :stuck_out_tongue:.

I find this outfit really attractive (minus the skinny jeans. Good color denim though). I know it looks kind of out there, but thats what I’m personally into. This outfit in my eyes shows confidence, originality, and a creative mind. I like the colors he paired together. His outfit is just so timeless and it really looks like a piece of art :slight_smile:

http://lookbook.nu/files/looks/large/522138_lbhatte.jpg?1268959331

Hope that helped some.

Oh and one more thing. Colors really play a big role in attracting people to you. I use to cheerlead and I remember earlier on in the year, a guy wearing a brightly colored plaid shirt (it was red, yellow, and bright blue I think) was selling tea at one of the away football games. He walked by and all the cheerleaders stopped cheering and ran over to him (our coach got after us and stopped the whole cheer squad from buying tea in the middle of the football game). We all wanted to buy tea from him just because of his brightly colored shirt! He wasn’t bad looking, but we all agreed that any guy would look great in that shirt. It was just so colorful and inviting. I almost spent my dinner money on tea because of his shirt. Darn shirt :smiley: Lol.

Tiffany

He looks like Boy George’s younger brother…

Hahaha!! Grosssss :stuck_out_tongue: